The second fam member in this new collection is our Green Tea EGCG Concentrate Defense Cream, which works synergistically with the natural green tea facial serum to keep your skin protected from the elements all day. The base is something new that we’re super excited about: organic yerba mate water, a hydrosol extracted from the Ilex Paraguarensis plant that contains naturally occurring caffeine, which brightens and reduces puffiness when applied topically. We’ve built up the formula with açaí butter for antioxidant protection and super rich hydration, rooibos tea, which contains alpha-hydroxy acids and zinc (two essential components for skin clarity), and an antioxidant packed organic essential oil blend which includes bergamot fruit oil, cedarwood bark oil, and blood orange oil. These ingredients work in tandem to keep everyday damage at bay, and to give your skin a nourished and clear base under your makeup application. The formula stars green tea oil and EGCG, which hydrate, soothe inflammation, and keep fine lines and dullness far away from your face. This is a product that’s designed to protect against environmental pollution in both the AM and PM – applying a small amount post cleanse will protect your dermis from free radical damage will gradually reverse past trouble spots. Over time, your skin will start to feel softer and denser – and most importantly, more fortified.
We’ve incorporated this tried-and-true little ingredient into two super hard working new products that we’re going to zoom in on: our new EGCG Concentrate Serum and our new EGCG Concentrate Defense Cream (plus we’re shining the spotlight on older cult-faves, our Green Tea Water Bomb Mask and Green Tea Fiber Brow Builder). All of these products have membership in the ultra elite green tea club – so what’s all the fuss about?
5 Ways Green Tea Is Helping Your Skin
Green tea has been a mainstay in the health community for years, starring in its conventional form – a tea sachet – as well as in everything from protein powders to plant-based cosmetics. It’s a natural powerhouse that amps up both topical and ingestible beauty supplements, with its high antioxidant content, impressive amino acid profile, and powerful catechins. For maximum green tea healing, drink up a cup and apply it to your skin – on the inside, it has the ability to boost your brain functioning and fat-burning efficiency, and on your dermis…keep reading, that’s what we’re breaking down today.
All this said, the anti-aging properties that green tea rocks aren’t it’s only star qualities. It has a long list of other traits that have made it a heavyweight in the health conscious community for decades, and render it a valuable and effective ingredient not only for mature skin, but also for adolescent skin and combination skin. Here we’ve rounded up five more reasons to turn into a green tea super fan (if you’re not one already).
- Green tea is anti-inflammatory, thanks to its high content of polyphenols called catechins. Catechins reduce irritation and redness, and have been studied as a powerful remedy for overenthusiastic autoimmune responses that cause excessive irritation or swelling. With this property in mind, we designed our super popular Green Tea Water Bomb Mask, an intensely hydrating hydrosol mask that absorbs into your skin, leaving you with reduced redness and a calm + majorly hydrated complexion.
- Another reason to love green tea? It’s a powerful antibacterial agent that functions as an effective ingredient for treating acne and congested pores. Polyphenols in green tea damage bacterial membranes and fight against infection, meaning that it’s a super useful tool for treating bacterial growth that causes comedones (and the dreaded pebbly skin effect). It helps kill systemic bacterial inflammation, working as a toning antifungal. Applause.
- It’s chock full of Vitamin B2 and Vitamin E, both essential for skin health maintenance. B2 plays an essential role in maintaining collagen levels for youthful skin structure and firmness, and Vitamin E supports new skin cell growth and also acts an intense hydrator for soft and nourished skin. So. Key.
- Caffeine and tannins in green tea help shrink blood vessels around the eyes, meaning that caffeine is a godsend when it comes to treating puffiness that happens in the eye area when you haven’t gotten enough Zzs. Plus caffeine stimulates fluid drainage and encourages cell turnover for increased brightness, the result being a more awake you (and the liberty to use a bit less under eye concealer).
- Green tea leaf fibers are proven to stimulate hair growth, thanks to catechins and polyphenols stimulating cell turnover in hair follicles. With this benefit in mind, we feature green tea fiber into our celebrated Green Tea Fiber Brow Builder, which fans cheekily refer to as “hair extensions for your eyebrows.” It’s a super effective formula that builds and thickens your brows over time, and provides super natural definition and sculpting. We truly believe that brows are your best accessory, but that’s a topic for another post.
Green Tea (EGCG) in Your Natural Skin Care Routine
Antioxidants are a powerful piece in the anti-aging puzzle because they work to reduce inflammation and free radicals that accelerate skin aging. Matcha is a particularly valuable ingredient when it comes to antioxidants because it contains EGCG, a hard-to-find antioxidant that counters the effects of pollution, UV rays, radiation, and chemicals. A daily dose of matcha applied topically can powerfully counteract cellular damage on the face, and reinforce your skin’s natural ability to defend itself. Armed with this knowledge, we created our green tea skincare collection, which harnesses the antioxidants of goji berries and rooibos, and the protecting properties of EGCG.